Saturday, July 25, 2015

Storage Ideas

Storage Ideas

When it comes to storing your scrap(which can quickly amass to fill a room) storing your scrap and keeping it sorted is a must. Some layer of security is in order as well since people will steal your metal. Some creative solutions I have found out myself and others through a little research.  

Storage Solutions I use

  • 5 gallon buckets- These nifty little bucket are frequently deep enough, sturdy enough and easy to label. I use these to hold my sorted out scrap. My labels include copper(clean and coated), iron/steel(ferrous metals), aluminum, tin(exclusively tin cans), and mix metals. I'm not a huge scrapper so these are a cost effective solution for my size.  


  • Shed- I am lucky enough to have a shed outside to store my buckets and lock up a lot of my more valuable metals. It also allows me to store large pieces of metal like a muffler or furniture springs around it. I live out in the country so metal theft is not common as neighbors are few and far between. I really care about my copper, aluminum and e-scrap collection as these are valuable so a lock is placed on the shed. "Locks keep honest people out," is the saying I've heard and I'd like ti think there's mostly honest people out there.

Other storage solutions

  • Yard- If you live "way out there", your large yard away from your neighbors can serve you just as well. Just throw down a tarp or put up some markers and you can sort out large quantities of metal. 

  • Totes- Old plastic totes that used to store toys when you were a kid are also great items to sort out your metals. They are large and are good enough for a few pounds of metal. Just be careful, they can be brittle and break if you throw too much in them.

  • Rooms or closets- Use an empty room or closet to store your metals(preferably in some kind of container). This is primarily the solution if you live in a more residential type setting and have limited or no outdoor space. 



Concluding, many solutions are available to the storage of your scrap metal. This tentative list is but a few of the dozens of options you have. Check and see which of them is right for you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment